On July 19, 2019, Parks Canada in collaboration with AHC hosted a Learn to Camp workshop for 43 attendees from Syria and Kurdistan. The 3 hours session covered camping rules and regulations and how to stay safe from the wildlife and how to protect and be considerate of nature. Some helpful tips given to the newcomers included:
- Learn about the wildlife in the park you will be visiting
- Feeding wildlife is never allowed
- Keep your dog on a leash
- Keep your campsite clean
- Hike after breakfast and before supper – travel in groups and keep kids close
- Only stop if it is safe to do so
- Keep a safe distance from wildlife
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings
- Carry bear spray and know how to use it
- Stay on designated trails and respect all park signs
The Parks Canada Learn-to Camp helps newcomers with the skills and experience to fully enjoy the great Canadian outdoors with safety features, tent set up, fire safety and animal hazards.
View images from the event below!