action4hc Action for Healthy Communities
Position Title: Summer YF- Cold Lake
Program: New Immigrant Children & Youth Program
Salary: $18/ hr
30 hours/ week for 8 weeks
Work location: Cold Lake
Speaking Tagalog is an asset.
The Action for Healthy Communities (AHC) is a non-profit charitable organization working in Edmonton since 1995 to strengthen community capacity and build healthier and stronger communities. AHC’s objective is to improve the lives of individuals and communities in which they live through the provision of public education and other capacity-building initiatives to enable them to enhance their own lives.
A Youth Facilitator works with new immigrant children and youth in a group setting to help their integration process in Canada by facilitating group activities in diverse topics, by playing a role as a mentor for them.
- Planning group activities: Plan and lead group activities in diverse topics to meet the program objectives. The topics include, but are not limited to: Canada, Self-awareness, Healthy Lifestyles, Multiculturalism, Communication, Teambuilding, Goal setting, and Social Norms.
- Facilitate group activities including arts & crafts, physical activities, teambuilding, outdoor games, and field trips
- Identify the individual needs of the youth and provide appropriate community connections.
- Interact with youth’s parents to discuss their participation, any issues, and to better understand the participants
- Role Model: Be a role model who presents positive attitudes and behaviours to promote a positive atmosphere and empower young people to make healthy life choices
- Administration: Write activity reports regularly and support the Coordinator to collect registration forms and conduct evaluations with students.
- Youth ages 15 – 29
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- International students or temporary visitors are not eligible to apply for this position
- Present strong leadership skills, team player, responsible person
- Clear communication skills and public speaking
- Clear criminal record check with vulnerable sector check is required
- 30 hours/ week for 8 weeks: June 24th – August 16th
- Working hours include working at the program sites, field trips and in the office
- Prepare dry snacks
- Move around the program materials (art supplies, sports equipment, games, stationaries, etc)
How to apply
Your application will be assessed based on how strongly your identified qualifications meet the criteria in the job advertisement. If you meet the qualifications and are passionate about working to serve the needs of immigrants and refugees, then we welcome you to send both your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line.
The successful candidate will be required to provide references and undergo a satisfactory criminal record check prior to the commencement of employment.
Only those qualifying for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the position.
To apply for this position send your resume to email@example.com