Action for Healthy Communities
The Action for Healthy Communities (AHC) is a non-profit charitable organization working in Edmonton since 1995 to strengthen community capacity and build healthier and stronger communities. The AHC’s objective is to improve the lives of individuals and communities in which they live through the provision of public education and other capacity-building initiatives to enable them to enhance their own lives.
Empowering Black Girls’ Initiative is to address the unique challenges faced by Black Canadian girls by developing leadership skills and civic engagement. Youth Facilitator will facilitate group activities and provide support for black girls to develop leadership skills and to work on their community project.
- Activity Planning and readiness
- Support Project Coordinator to develop the group activities for Empowering Black Girls
- Assist workshops by guest facilitators, and mentors
- Facilitation, Implementation & Mentorship
- Facilitate group activities
- Facilitate dialogues with youth regarding social issues, challenges they face and developing youth-led community project
- Engage participants and motivate them to fully participate in all activities
- Prepare the materials and snack for the activities
- Ensure the physical, emotional and mental well-being of the students are cared for throughout their engagement
- Build healthy relationship with the youth, model and foster a positive attitude and healthy choices
- Culturally sensitive and respectful when interacting with youth
- Administration support
- Write reports of each of the activities, its objectives and outcomes and submit in a timely manner
- Administer surveys and evaluation of activities and participants
- Manage social media
- Take project photos/video
- Assist Project Coordinator to promote the project, recruiting participants and delivering promotional materials
- Female youth from the black community is preferred due to the nature of the project.
- Studying post-secondary program in Social Services or Education field is preferred
- Current Criminal Record check with vulnerable sector check, Child intervention record check is required
- Knowledge and experience working with youth, particularly girls
- Demonstrated leadership skills and understanding of challenges black girls face
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suites, Google Applications, social media
- Digital skills in photography, videography and editing is an asset
- Interpersonal skills
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Multilingual an asset
- First Aid Certification an asset
- Hourly pay: $18 – $ 19 based on the experience
- Programs are at different locations such as schools, libraries and the office.
- 10 hours per week
- Availability: One weekday afternoon ( 3 – 8 PM) and Saturdays
How to apply
Your application will be assessed based on how strongly your identified qualifications meet the criteria in the job advertisement. If you meet the qualifications and are passionate about working to serve the needs of immigrants and refugees, then we welcome you to send both your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line.
The successful candidate will be required to provide references and undergo a satisfactory criminal record check prior to the commencement of employment.
Please submit the availability to work along with the application.
Ex) Mondays anytime, Tuesdays: 9 am – 3 pm
Deadline: Until find suitable candidate.
Only those qualifying for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the position.
To apply for this position send your resume to email@example.com